By B. Garrick Harden,Robert Carley,Garrick B. Harden,Stjepan Mestrovic,Marcus Aldredge,Lindsay Anderson,Wendy A. Burns-Ardolino,Ryan Caldwell,Pablo Castagno,Xi Chen,Jesse Garcia,B Garrick Harden,Keith Kerr,Ilan Mitchell-Smith,Christopher M. Sutch
Read or Download Co-opting Culture: Culture and Power in Sociology and Cultural Studies PDF
Similar anthropology books
With the growth of exchange and empire within the early glossy interval, the prestige of sugar replaced from dear rarity to well known purchaser commodity, and its actual and imagined houses functioned as critical metaphors for the cultural wishes of West Indian Creoles. Sandiford's 2000 research examines how the writings of six colonial West Indian authors discover those houses to publicise the industrial worth of the shopper item, and to invent a metaphor for West Indian cultural wishes.
The Indigenous groups of the decrease Fraser River, British Columbia (a crew in most cases known as the Stó:lõ), have ancient thoughts and senses of identification deriving from occasions, cultural practices, and kinship bonds that have been constantly adapting lengthy prior to a non-Native visited the realm at once.
This ebook offers with conflict in 3 Oceanian societies. extra specifi cally, it analyzes the next: the method of struggle on the subject of inhabitants strain between New Guinea's Maring humans; exten sion and contraction within the headhunting actions of the Iban humans of Sarawak through the 19th century; and the disrup tion because of the advent of muskets within the conflict of the Maoris of latest Zealand.
China's patrilineal and patriarchal culture has inspired a long-standing choice for male heirs inside of households. Coupled with China's birth-planning coverage, this has ended in a serious gender imbalance. yet a counterpattern is rising in rural China the place a visible percentage of younger have willingly authorized having a unmarried daughter.
- Korean Masculinities and Transcultural Consumption: Yonsama, Rain, Oldboy, K-Pop Idols (TransAsia: Screen Cultures)
- The West and Beyond: New Perspectives on an Imagined Region (The West Unbound: Social and Cultural Studies)
- Biological Relatives: IVF, Stem Cells, and the Future of Kinship (Experimental Futures)
- The Rise of Anthropological Theory: A History of Theories of Culture
- Anger and Racial Politics: The Emotional Foundation of Racial Attitudes in America
- Signifying Identities: Anthropological Perspectives on Boundaries and Contested Identities
Additional info for Co-opting Culture: Culture and Power in Sociology and Cultural Studies