By Mechthild Gretsch
Read or Download Aelfric and the Cult of Saints in Late Anglo-Saxon England (Cambridge Studies in Anglo-Saxon England) PDF
Best literary gothic & romantic criticism books
Starting with a serious reappraisal of the proposal of “fairy story” and lengthening it to incorporate different types and genres that are in universal utilization in folklore and in literary stories, this ebook throws mild at the common methods serious about storytelling. It illuminates the elemental ways that a tradition is shaped, whereas highlighting very important beneficial properties of the Irish narrative culture, in all its wealth and diversity and in its connections with the legendary and ancient occasions of eire.
Romantic Border Crossings participates within the vital circulate in the direction of 'otherness' in Romanticism, by way of uncovering the highbrow and disciplinary anxieties that encompass comparative reports of British, American, and ecu literature and tradition. As this assorted staff of essays demonstrates, we will now communicate of a world Romanticism that encompasses rising serious different types corresponding to Romantic pedagogy, transatlantic reviews, and transnationalism, with the outcome that 'new' works via writers marginalized by way of category, gender, race, or geography are invited into the canon even as that clean readings of conventional texts emerge.
This learn first examines the marginal repertoire in famous manuscripts, the Psalter of man de Dampierre and an Arthurian Romance, inside of their fabric and codicological contexts. This repertoire then offers a template for a longer research of the marginal motifs that seem in eighteen similar manuscripts, which variety from a Bible to illustrated models of the encyclopedias of Vincent de Beauvais and Brunetto Latini.
Responding to the resurgence of curiosity within the Scottish working-class author James Hogg, Sharon Alker and Holly religion Nelson provide the 1st edited assortment dedicated to an exam of the serious implications of his writings and their place within the Edinburgh and London literary marketplaces.
- Masterclass: Writing Romantic Fiction: A modern guide to writing compelling love stories of passion and desire (Teach Yourself: Writing)
- The Literary Haunted House: Lovecraft, Matheson, King and the Horror in Between
- Reading Victorian Illustration, 1855–1875: Spoils of the Lumber Room
- The Rural Gothic in American Popular Culture: Backwoods Horror and Terror in the Wilderness
- The Mask and the Quill: Actress-Writers in Germany from Enlightenment to Romanticism (New Studies in the Age of Goethe)
- Consensus and Debate in Salazar's Portugal: Visual and Literary Negotiations of the National Text, 1933–1948 (Penn State Romance Studies)
Extra resources for Aelfric and the Cult of Saints in Late Anglo-Saxon England (Cambridge Studies in Anglo-Saxon England)