By Richard D. McKirahan,Patricia Curd
Read or Download A Presocratics Reader (Second Edition): Selected Fragments and Testimonia (Hackett Classics) PDF
Best greek & roman philosophy books
The Cratylus, one in every of Plato's such a lot tricky and exciting dialogues, explores the family members among a reputation and the object it names. The questions that come up lead the characters to stand a few significant concerns: fact and falsehood, relativism, etymology, the potential of an ideal language, the relation among the research of names and that of fact, the Heraclitean flux idea and the speculation of kinds.
Socrates and Alcibiades: 4 Texts gathers jointly translations our 4 most vital assets for the connection among Socrates and the main arguable guy of his day, the talented and scandalous Alcibiades. as well as Alcibiades’ recognized speech from Plato’s Symposium, this article contains dialogues, the Alcibiades I and Alcibiades II, attributed to Plato in antiquity yet unjustly missed this day, and the whole fragments of the discussion Alcibiades by way of Plato’s modern, Aeschines of Sphettus.
Face à l'effondrement des repères anciens, aux menaces qui pèsent sur l. a. planète, aux risques engendrés par les nouvelles concepts, philosophes et scientifiques dialoguent. « Copyright Electre »
Plato used to be the 1st thinker within the western culture to mirror systematically (and frequently seriously) on rhetoric. during this booklet, Tushar Irani offers a finished and cutting edge interpreting of the Gorgias and the Phaedrus, the one Platonic dialogues to target what an 'art of argument' should still seem like, treating all the texts separately, but eventually demonstrating how every one can most sensible be understood in mild of the opposite.
- Aristoteles’ Konzeption der Zurechnung (Quellen und Studien zur Philosophie) (German Edition)
- Intellectuals in Politics in the Greek World (Routledge Revivals): From Early Times to the Hellenistic Age
- Anaxagoras, Origen, and Neoplatonism: The Legacy of Anaxagoras to Classical and Late Antiquity (Arbeiten zur Kirchengeschichte)
- The Politics of Aristotle: With Introduction, Analysis and Notes
- The Birth of Hedonism: The Cyrenaic Philosophers and Pleasure as a Way of Life
- Plato's Meno In Focus (Philosophers in Focus)
Additional info for A Presocratics Reader (Second Edition): Selected Fragments and Testimonia (Hackett Classics)