By Martha P. Nochimson
- Brings jointly the main innovative, in-depth, and engaging scholarship on arguably the best residing Asian filmmaker, from a multinational workforce of demonstrated and emerging movie students and critics
- Covers a massive breadth of themes akin to the culture of the jianghu in Wong's motion pictures; queering Wong's motion pictures now not by way of gender yet during the artist's liminality; the phenomenological Wong; Wong's intertextuality; the US via Wong's eyes; the optics of intensities, thresholds, and transfers of strength in Wong's cinema; and the diasporic presence of a few girls from Shanghai in Wong's Hong Kong
- Examines the political, ancient, and sociological impact of Wong and his paintings, and discusses his paintings from various views together with smooth, post-modern, postcolonial, and queer theory
- Includes appendices which learn Wong’s paintings in Hong Kong tv and commercials
Read Online or Download A Companion to Wong Kar-wai (Wiley Blackwell Companions to Film Directors) PDF
Similar film & video art books
D. W. Griffith (1875-1948) is without doubt one of the such a lot influential figures within the heritage of the movie. As director of The beginning of a state, he's additionally essentially the most arguable. He raised the cinema to a brand new point of artwork, leisure, and innovation, and while he illustrated, for the 1st time, its capability to persuade an viewers and propagandize a reason.
In the course of a span of fifty five years, Emil Richards has been a popular presence in Hollywood soundstages, recording studios, jazz golf equipment and overseas traveling venues. thought of a perfect artist at the vibraphone, marimba and xylophone, in addition to a grasp of his world-famous selection of percussion tools, Richards is well known during the global for his versatility.
Anime: A severe creation maps the genres that experience thrived inside jap animation tradition, and indicates how a variety of commentators have made experience of anime via discussions of its normal panorama. From the combating robots that outline the mecha style via to Studio Ghibli's dominant genre-brand of plucky shojo (young woman) characters, this booklet charts the increase of anime as a globally major classification of animation.
Orry-Kelly created magic on monitor, from Casablanca and The Maltese Falcon to a couple love it scorching. He gained 3 Oscars for dress layout. He dressed all of the greatest stars, from Bette Davis to Marilyn Monroe. but few recognize who Orry-Kelly particularly was once - before. came upon in a pillowcase, Orry-Kelly's long-lost memoirs display a wildly proficient and cheeky rascal who lived an enormous existence, off and on the set.
- Walt Disney & Recollections of the Disney Studios: 1955-1980
- The Film Factory: Russian and Soviet Cinema in Documents 1896-1939 (Soviet Cinema S)
- Devised and Directed by Mike Leigh
- Documentary (Routledge Film Guidebooks)
Additional resources for A Companion to Wong Kar-wai (Wiley Blackwell Companions to Film Directors)